After watching the Youtube video and reading up a little about RSS feeds, I was amazed at the capabilities of RSS feeds and was left wondering why I hadn’t come across something like this a lot sooner. Like everyone I have my favourite sites which I check for updates on a daily basis which can sometimes be time consuming, but RSS feeds allows me to check for these updates all in the one location with the simple click of a button. My understanding of RSS feeds is that they are like a Facebook, but instead of adding friends who can post their thoughts all in the one location, RSS feeds allow the user to add their favourite websites which posts updates of them all, in the one location.
I have heard of RSS feeds and Google reader before but had never taken time to actually look at what they are and what they do. If it wasn’t for completing this assignment I probably never would have taken the opportunity to read up about them and I would have missed out on being able to use a fantastic new tool.
I then took the opportunity to sign up for a Google account. Once I actually got to the site, I realised that in signing up to Blogger I already had a Google account and signing up again was unnecessary. I went on to add the blogs of my assignment group aswell as my own sites, and some of the IKM technology related blogs we looked at in the first week.
Learning about RSS feeds and Google reader has actually been exciting and it is something I will start using on a daily basis to check for updates from all my favourite sites. I never realised that technology had advanced so much to allow this to be possible, but now that I am aware I’m sure that that these tools will prove to be very helpful and save a lot of time which I could use to do alternative things.

No comments:
Post a Comment